Thursday, September 23, 2010

MAXIMIZE Your Makeup Buys #1 - SMASHBOX


I’ve been ridiculously excited about applying for student discounts for my favorite makeup brands. While I’ve slaved over applications and basked in the thought of a “backstage pass” on products, I’ve also thought about all the ways I’ve discovered to save money and maximize my makeup buys over the years. Since pro discounts are only available to makeup artists, licensed professionals, and the lowly beauty school drop-in, I decided to incorporate a series in my blog about some of the ways I’ve found to get something for nothing (or at least get a great deal).  

So, let’s start things off by talking SMASHBOX.

Smashbox (http://www.smashbox.com/) is a high end “artistry” makeup. We can thank the great-grandsons of legendary makeup artist, Max Factor for this stuff. It was designed as "photo-ready" makeup. It’s an AWESOME line that I like more and more every time it shows up in my mailbox. If you don’t have a Sephora or Ulta in your hometown AND you didn’t watch the last couple seasons of The Hills (Lo works there... don't judge me!), you may not be familiar with Smashbox. Fear not! You don’t need a store to get the goods, and one of the best perks about ordering from them online is the free shipping (in the US)… on EVERY order - no minimum purchase required.


Here's the skinny - 

My Smashbox orders always make me feel a little devious guilt - - kinda like I’ve robbed the place. In addition to free shipping, every order has free “jumbo samples” which you get to select when finalizing your order. Another important hint about ordering from Smashbox… only order from their site on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9AM – 2PM Pacific Time. Smashbox has this great feature called, “Let’s Do Lunch” where you receive a FREE FULL SIZED product with ANY order made during these times. Here’s a link to the promotion for details -   http://www.smashbox.com/Information/Smashbox-Lunch . The free products usually range in value from $15 - $26. I always wait for the high value products to show up as the free item. By the way, if you're thinking of working the system and separating items into different orders, it won't work. Only one freebie from "Let's Do Lunch" a day. 

Also, don’t forget to check out the “Curtain Call” section. This is for discontinued products and colors. Curtain Call is not like other brands that discontinue colors and never actually mark them down (I’ll refrain from naming names). Smashbox discounts their closeout items by 50% most of the time, and sometimes even more. You can even use a Curtain Call item as your purchase to get the free “Let’s Do Lunch” item.

As if this wasn’t enough, Smashbox also has their “Pretty Points” program. The program is free, you simply sign up for it when you register or order online. Pretty Points has many benefits which includes free stuff on your birthday, but what I like the most is that Pretty Points gets you an extra jumbo sample with EVERY order. Good grief!

So, in summary – here’s your Smashbox strategy:
  • Order online for free shipping
  • Only order on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9-2PM Pacific for the free full size item
  • Pick your own “jumbo samples”
  • Always check the “Curtain Call” section for discounted items, and even use a really cheap item to get your free full sized item  
  • Sign up for Pretty Points and get an additional free jumbo sample with every order

Of course, if you want to try a half-dozen or so Smashbox products, you can always go for the gift sets which are always offered at a significant savings than buying each item separately. 

So, these are my favorite methods for Smashbox buying. If you have any methods that you use for Smashbox, please feel free to comment below and share the love. Also, if you'd like to see more of this kind of thing in addition to all my beauty school shenanigans, please comment on FB or here and let me know!

Gettin’ Beauty Schooled,

Rita

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I tried Smashbox for the first time a couple of months ago and love it!!

    More of this type of post would be awesome. Also, I'm breathlessly awaiting beauty tips & tricks ... especially for eyes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you could have only one smashbox product, what would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty tips for the eyes!! I'm on it! Maybe I can offer an answer to both questions in one!

    Picking one smashbox product is tough. I'd probably go with their cream eyeliner palette. There are 10 colors in ONE palette, and they'll last a long time. My favorite way to use them is to line the top of the eye with a typical dark shade (like black) but then pick one of the bright shades to line the bottom. It's just a shot of color, but perfect for otherwise "traditional" makeup. Oh, and they are super easy to put on if you buy a cheap tiny angled brush from an art store!

    ReplyDelete