Saturday, September 11, 2010

The "GLAMOUR-LESS" but necessary evil: FINANCIAL AID.

Ahh... the price we pay for beauty (or beauty school at least). I had my financial aid appointment this week. The waiting area of Nashvegas Beauty U was lined with sexy-curvy black benches. As I planted myself on a bench, I watched the cosmetology students run around. I had a passing thought - - pretty soon I’ll be calling bangs “fringe” and using other salon jargon. The music was pumping (cause that’s how NBU rolls), and I couldn’t help but smile. As I meandered around looking at the fancy shampoos and skin care, I considered a question that I’m sure every beauty school student ponders at this stage - - I wonder what kind of discount I’ll get on this stuff?

About that time, Shawna interrupted my daydream. “Are you ready?” she asked with a smile. I followed her through a sea of black clothing…. the required dress code worn by all the students at NBU. I felt a little self conscious in my blue jeans, white top and flip flops. As a rule, I typically rebel against being told what to wear, but since beauty schools are known for their student drama, I decided I should keep my civil disobedience to a minimum and be thankful that my go-to color is black anyway.

Shawna looked to be about 50 years old, and she was a heart-warmer. She told me about how much she hated the printer in her office, and how her life away from work was Titans football. I never would have guessed! Anyway, she answered all of my relentless type-A questions and talked me through my financial aid paperwork. She even printed out an enrollment letter for me. (Which I learned is not standard procedure, but hey, it IS required for all the student discounts I plan on apply for with makeup companies... Oh yeah).

The grand total for my aesthetics education? $8,500.00. This includes the cost of the aesthetics kit that I'll use throughout my training ($700.00). Once I receive my kit, I'll take a few pics to give you a better idea of how far $700 goes in the world of makeup and skin.  

I exited Shawna’s office and proceeded back down the hallway. I was passed by several young ladies, all dressed in black. They each greeted me. It was like I had joined a 
sisterhood, and we were all gonna figure out this beauty thing together. Ok. Perhaps that’s a bit dramatic - - but just like when you're in high school, it felt good to belong. 

All in all, it was a good day. I’m $8,500 poorer (essentially), but I’m holding fast to the belief that the price I’ll pay NBU is less costly than the regret of an unexplored opportunity.

Gettin’ Beauty Schooled,
Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment