As I think about the short time I have left in beauty school (3 weeks), I can’t help but reflect on one of the best things about beauty school - - the clients. Most of them are the everyday gal - - just looking for a good cheap facial or microderm. Others, well… they were unique. In particular, I’d like to take the time to reflect on the ones we students have dubbed the “All Star Client Team”.
Some individuals just make it all worthwhile.They give us day-changing challenges that make us want to throw our tweezers across the room. Some have made us laugh, while others just left us perplexed and confused. Either way, they were memorable. Isn’t that what we all want in the end anyway?
Like the old Bud Light “Real Men of Genius” commercials, here’s to you - - The All Star Client Team. May you forever live in beauty school infamy.
- Pink Panty Man Wax – You came in for a leg wax, and wowed us with how unashamed you were to pull your tunic up and show us your hot pink panties. You were one of the first members of the All Star Team.
- Text Message Queen – I was unable to ignore your ability to multi-task during your facial with constant text messaging. Even during the massage portion, you managed to hold your phone above your head so that you did not miss responding to one critical message. Congrats, and welcome to the All Star Team.
- Silent Chemical Peel Lady – You amazed me with your silence. Even when I asked you about your “tingle factor” between each layer of your chemical peel, you refused to answer. I was confused and challenged. Was this a good sign, or a bad sign? Should I continue? I took your silence as affirmation and applied all four layers and a booster to your peel. I have not seen you since. I hope your face is ok.
- Wonder Woman – Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! Whenever I want to complain about how much laundry there is to fold at NBU, I think of you and I smile. You proudly exited the dressing room with the tunic around your neck like a cape and no pants. It was awesome. That’s all I can say.
- Ticklish Birthday Girl and Mom – Your mother gifted you with a back treatment for your 15th birthday. You were more ticklish than any person I’ve ever seen. You gifted the rest of NBU’s relaxed clients (and me) your contagious laughter every time I touched your back. Your mother wasn't happy, but it was one of my favorite services.
- Ingrown Hair Trauma Lady – After your sister waxed the nape of your neck, most of the hair came back ingrown. You came in desperate. Even though it wasn’t on our menu of services, we used needlepoint tweezers and picked out every one of those suckers. We were not sure what to charge you. We ended up settling on a $5 brow wax fee. You got a deal and we got quite an experience. Thank you!
- To all the clients over 55 – A special salute to you. You get services for 50% off the already super cheap beauty school prices. We LOVE you. You come in and let us do any services we want to you. You get a facial, a brown wax, lip wax, and a hand treatment and walk out spending less than $20. Ok. Maybe we really love you because you usually make up the difference of your discount to us in tips. Come again, please!
- 3x a Week Brow Wax Lady – You came, you waxed, you waxed again, and then… you waxed again. All in one week. Wow. When we had nothing left to wax, we just pretended.
Honestly, these were just a few of the All Stars. There are just so many. In all sincerity, their quirks and fun have earned a special place in my heart and have made this experience all the richer.
I raise my bottle of Deer Park water to you today, All Star Client Team. May your quest for beauty never cease, and may your oddities and fearlessness continue on to bless the next beauty school drop-in!
Gettin’ Beauty Schooled,